[tmql-wg] Proposed new requirement: Ability to produce textual output

Robert Barta rho@bigpond.net.au
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:26:42 +1000

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:19:51PM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> I'm wondering whether we should add a requirement like the following:
>
>   TMQL shall be able to produce textual output from queries, including
>   special features to support the production of XML and HTML output.
>
> Opinions on this?

Well, yes. :-)

I think this is VERY useful, because it reduces the overlap of

  - querying ... getting a result in some form, and
  - templating ... putting the content into a HTML page or whatever

We only would need XML, I reckon, so that the output can be
posttransformed.

It would also be possible to create arbitrary text, but then I would
expect some syntactic problems in TMQL. XML is friendly in this
regard, so is of course XTM.

\rho

PS: AsTMa? has this feature already:

<docs>