[tmql-wg] Proposed new requirement: Ability to produce textual output

21 Jun 2003 15:47:23 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol
| Opinions on this?

* Robert Barta
| Well, yes. :-)

Good! :)
| I think this is VERY useful, because it reduces the overlap of
|   - querying ... getting a result in some form, and
|   - templating ... putting the content into a HTML page or whatever
| We only would need XML, I reckon, so that the output can be
| posttransformed.

Well, that assumes the users will be happy to use both TMQL and XSLT
to get what they want, rather than use TMQL to produce it directly.
Producing non-XML output is actually quite common; I'm currently
involved in one project where the customer wants a straight text
output from the topic map, using indentation to indicate nesting.
| It would also be possible to create arbitrary text, but then I would
| expect some syntactic problems in TMQL.

I agree that that may be a concern, somewhat dependent on what syntax
we choose for this.

One question is whether we want this in TMQL part 1, or whether we
want it to be a separate part. That would give us:

 - part 1: querying
 - part 2: updates
 - part 3: output