[sc34wg3] CTM: Templates returning values

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Fri Mar 27 07:05:46 EDT 2009

Hi Xuân,

[...]
> However, the current CTM syntax does not allow this. I think the CTM
> syntax should support such a compact and expressive notation. What do
> you think? Is anybody against this?

Yes, I am against it. What does the template return? The last
statement? The last topic? I think such a change would require too
much changes to CTM. I.e. the CTM processor may not reorder the
statements in a template if the last statement / topic should be
returned, which is currently not explicitly disallowed. Each
implementation has to check if the returned value is a reifiable
statement etc. pp.

I can see a value for such change, but I wouldn't like to let too much
changes sneak into the current status of CTM. CTM has to be finished.

If you know that you like to reify your occurrence, you can hand over
the reifier to the template, for example.

Best regards,
Lars
--
Semagia