[sc34wg3] 4.4 Navigation - Axis

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sat Aug 1 14:22:46 EDT 2009

Greetings!

Sorry for being a bit out of order but I ran across something while
waiting during a long plane delay.

In the production:

"[18] step ::= ( >> | << ) axis [anchor]"

Which is followed by [19] axis" which list twelve (12) axes. In reading
the following prose, we discover that the optional anchor is only
relevant in 3 out of those 12 axes.

Organizationally wouldn't it be cleaner to arrange these axes into those
where the anchor was meaningful and those where it is not? Even if the
same expression is kept, at least create two sub-sections, one for where
the anchor is relevant and the other where it is not.

In all three cases where the anchor is considered (players, traverse,
characteristics, for those of you who have been following along), it is
a constraint on the type to be considered. So that could be said once in
a general lead-in and then describe the three axes where that is relevant.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net