[sc34wg3] Canonical syntax

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sat Aug 1 14:01:41 EDT 2009

Greetings,

Under 3.1 Syntax Conventions, the current draft says:

"The grammar is build in such a way so that the lexical order of choices
resolves any ambiguities in that it always prefers constant tokens over
regular expression tokens."

I am not sure what to make of "...in that it always prefers....?"

If the grammar is written without ambiguity, that's a good thing but I
don't know what this statement adds to the text.

Yes, it is in the current draft but part of working on standards is
being mature enough to contribute to the work of the committee even if
you don't necessarily agree with it in all respects.

I assume a different case but same concept comes up under 4.2 Atoms when
the draft says:

"Obviously, decimal patters are preferred over the shorter integer
patterns."

In what sense are they preferred and by who? Without more I can imagine
situations where I personally would prefer one or the other but it would
differ from situation to situation.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net