[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 08:24:00 -0000

Steve wrote

> Look at the following two
> names side by side:
>
> (1) TM Information Aggregation Metamodel
>
> (2) TM Standard Model
and
>I'm now
> thinking that I'd prefer just-plain "TM Metamodel" over
> "TM Information Aggregation Metamodel."

The problem with this is the initials TMM are unpronouncable, as a few
people have pointed out. But if we simplified it to Topic Information
Metamodel we would have TIM. So why have I dropped the Map part of the name?
Ask yourself, are assertions about maps, or about the components of a map? I
see nothing in the RM that says anything about Maps, only about topics and
the relationships between them. This leads me back to HyTime (just to finish
by annoying everyone). A Topic Information Modelling Environment would
provide TIME to discuss Topic Maps in.

OK, lets get back to business: I've obviously not lost the holiday spirit
yet. Time to sober up for the new year. Happy New Year everyone.

Martin