[sc34wg3] Simple Topic Maps (STM): An example of deserialization

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:42:46 +0200

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Michel Biezunski
> |
> | We have published this document in its incomplete state to allow the
> | members of the WG3 working group to see a working example of how the
> | TMM brings extensibility and modularity to Topic Maps.
>
> Thank you very much for doing that. This does help to clarify what has
> been meant by these terms on this mailing list over the past months.
>
> | It is designed to show how differences between the needs of various
> | users of the Topic Map standard can lead to both obvious and
> | non-obvious differences with the SAM, as currently proposed in
> | N0396.
>
> As such it is anything but persuasive, since it is obvious that STM
> can easily be represented using the SAM. Taken together this document
> and that recently posted by Jan each specify different TMAs, which
> means that there is still no interoperability between the two until
> someone sits down to map the TMAs.
>
> What this means, when spelled out is that with SAM we would map both
> to SAM and be done, whereas you need to map XTM -> SAM, SAM ->
> SAM-TMA, and STM -> STM-TMA, and then align the STM-TMA and the
> SAM-TMA. You could obviously do XTM -> SAM-TMA directly, but that
> would still leave you with one more step than we use.

Note however that, when topic maps are based on the TMM, there is no
mapping between SAM and SAM-TMA. The SAM is the SAM-TMA, so the
one-more-set argument doesn't actually count.

Jan