[sc34wg3] The Norwegian National Body position on ISO 13250

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:09:52 -0400

Marc,

Marc de Graauw wrote:

>Steve Pepper:
>
>| Our experience in Norway is that industry demand for topic
>| maps is exploding.
>
>Michel Biezunski:
>
>| One other reason why we are not on a hurry is that
>| TM is already an established standard. It is perceived
>| as such, and the fact that there is a new version in
>| preparation is good. We are not missing opportunities
>| of adoptions by not being ready yet with a new version.
>
>Unfortunately in the Netherlands we are not in Norway's lucky position. Last
>fall I started a Topic Maps Special Interest Group. It has over 30 members,
>so there is a sufficient interest in Topic Maps in the Netherlands. In spite
>of this interest, we found very few projects being done or being planned
>with Topic Maps. Invariably the reason given by our SIG members was the lack
>of a standard Schema language.

You seem to be mixing two issues in your post. One is the lack of a
"standard Schema language" and the other is the need for TMCL/TMQL. Are
both seen as problems? Noting that the SAM proposal would not answer the
problem of lack of a Schema language.

>So we _are_ missing opportunities here in the
>Netherlands. In fact, we took a look at RDF/OWL recently and there was a
>general feeling that although Topic Maps do have a better conceptual basis
>(though not _that_ much better) RDF/OWL are simply moving at a pace which
>make it likely to be the default choice at the moment. I feel that if we do
>not move forward with TMCL/TMQL very rapidly Topic Maps will end up being a
>minor technology in the Netherlands.

I don't think anyone is reluctanct to move forward (quickly or
otherwise) with TMCL/TMQL but the question is on what basis? The voiced
need for progress would seem to me to be a driver to forge consensus,
but consensus is not something that can be achieved by marginalizing any
contributions to the end product.

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau