[tmql-wg] How to proceed with TMQL?

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:47:38 +0100

* Robert Barta

| I do not think this will be effective enough for what we plan. All
| of us can be expected to know about the individual proposals, also
| in some detail, given these are documented.

I think what you say is true for us where us = {Robert, Rani, Dmitry,
Lars Marius}, but there will be lots of other people there, and I
think that for most of them it will not be true.

I think probably what will happen is something like this:

  1. We go through some series of presentations similar to what Steve
     proposed

  2. There is a general discussion towards the end of which something
     like a consensus either emerges or does not emerge

  3. A small task force is defined

  4. The task force goes away to hammer out a proposal informed by
     steps 1. and 2.

| Given these, we could walk down the use cases and could try to draft a
| new language. I could imagine that a core language emerges so
| quicker. At least if we assume we all survive the discussions without
| major injuries. I'll bring my body guards anyway...

I think we need to do something like this, but not in plenum, since
there will be way too many people present for that to be effective.
Steve Newcomb was absolutely right that you can't have an entire
committee write a standard; you need a smaller group for the creative
parts.