[tmql-wg] How to proceed with TMQL?

Dmitry dmitryv@cogeco.ca
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:25:52 -0500

On Mar 14, 2004, at 7:47 AM, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> I think probably what will happen is something like this:
>
>   1. We go through some series of presentations similar to what Steve
>      proposed
>
>   2. There is a general discussion towards the end of which something
>      like a consensus either emerges or does not emerge
>
>   3. A small task force is defined
>
>   4. The task force goes away to hammer out a proposal informed by
>      steps 1. and 2.

I support an idea of small task force. With active collaboration final
proposal can be done quite quickly, I think.

What also can help is TMQL "structural analysis ", I think.  It is
essentially  identification of main building blocks which language
should implement.

For example,
TMQL should have "select" part.
          Select part should support existential quires
          Select part should support "every satisfies" queries
          Select part should support "left join" queries
          Select part should support AND, OR, NOT expressions
          Select part should support cross references between different
parts of the query

TMQL should have "constructors" part
          Return basic data structures (lists, records, strings ...)
          Return TMDM constructs
          Return XML

TMQL should allow to reference topics

TMQL should have extensibility mechanism

etc.

Dmitry