[tmql-wg] Basename duplication ... ?

Michael Chapman tmql@interarb.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:37:03 +0000

Lars,

On Thursday 24 June 2004 7:37 am, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> | So can one have two _different_ topics in the same (set of)
> | topicmap(s) with the same basename?
>
> Yes. You can even have different topics in the same topic map with the
> same basename. TMDM gives the rules for this.

But, where does XTM 1.0 say that?

O.k., TMDM is ISO13250 ?  If so is 2002 the current version?
(19 May 2002 is the latest I have found.)

"This International Standard does not permit two distinct subjects to have
the same name characteristics ...."  (final (non-note) paragraph of 5.2.3.
I see nothing about different topics with the same basename, rather I see
"that author cannot use the same name for any two different subjects" (note
31).

Either I have the wrong edition of ISO13250 or I am not understanding
something fundamental .... ....  (but neither of those explain the wording of
XTM 1.0 ...)

Regards,
	Michael Chapman

(Mind you section 5.2.3 seems to contradict itself in one place:
"A topic may have zero ... topic names" (first sentence) and
"the basename .... at least one of which is required" (note 28)!
MC)