[tmql-wg] Basename duplication ... ?

Michael Chapman tmql@interarb.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:37:03 +0000

On Thursday 24 June 2004 7:37 am, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> | So can one have two _different_ topics in the same (set of)
> | topicmap(s) with the same basename?
> Yes. You can even have different topics in the same topic map with the
> same basename. TMDM gives the rules for this.

But, where does XTM 1.0 say that?

O.k., TMDM is ISO13250 ?  If so is 2002 the current version?
(19 May 2002 is the latest I have found.)

"This International Standard does not permit two distinct subjects to have
the same name characteristics ...."  (final (non-note) paragraph of 5.2.3.
I see nothing about different topics with the same basename, rather I see
"that author cannot use the same name for any two different subjects" (note

Either I have the wrong edition of ISO13250 or I am not understanding
something fundamental .... ....  (but neither of those explain the wording of
XTM 1.0 ...)

	Michael Chapman

(Mind you section 5.2.3 seems to contradict itself in one place:
"A topic may have zero ... topic names" (first sentence) and
"the basename .... at least one of which is required" (note 28)!