[tmql-wg] Result set requirements

Robert Barta rho@bigpond.net.au
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:20:25 +1000

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:46:34AM +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Robert Barta
> |
> | I would assume that a
> |
> |       select $topic.bn ...
> |
> | could be reasonably defaulted to 'string' output.
>
> Actually, I'm not so sure. We currently have queries that do return
> topic name items, and that need to do so. So I think there needs to be
> a way to distinguish between the item and its string value.

Yes, that's true, but...

> | What I am bit sceptical about is to allow _any_ kind of node type in
> | the result. So, to allow basename and occurrence and this and that
> | items as described in the TM DM as possible parts of a list result.
> | Going that path would link TMQL standard-wise VERY STRONGLY to TMDM
> | and I am not a friend of strong couplings.
>
> Don't you think that the very design of the TMQL would bind us very
> strongly to TMDM anyway?

Yes, we will probably do it this way, but it does not need to be this
way.  I could, for instance bind the semantics of AsTMa? onto TMDM
underneath and could choose NOT to return any TMDM items.

Maybe there are dependencies I do not see yet...

* Robert Barta

| I am rather sceptical about "query languages" which return "nodes"
| or other internal data structures. This is like XPath and has the
| problem that you have to use XPath _always_ with something else:
| XSLT, XQuery, or a programming language.

> Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> I'm surprised to hear you describe this as a problem. I've seen this
> as one of the great strengths of XPath, and a major part of why it's
> been such a resounding success. XML development without XPath would be
> horribly much harder.

Sorry, too fast and sloppy writing.

It is not a problem that "you have to use XPath _always_ with
something else".  That you have the same sublanguage XPath in
XQuery/XSLT/Schematron is actually a nice thing to have.

It is a problem for the language designers to find the right level of
abstraction how XPath interacts with these languages.  It is actually
only now that XPath 2.0/XSLT 2.0 is aligned with XQuery 1.0 and the
alignment with the DOM2 came also rather late.

[
  XPath is harmless in the sense that it can return nodes and those
  are basically DOM nodes. And XPath _in many_ case silently converts
  nodes into string:

   /..../....[some-element = "Rumsti"]

  So that is an _easy_ model for a developer.

]

If we would allow TMQL to spit out everything the TMDM offers us, that
would, I think, drive the complexity for developers up.  They would
have to learn TMDM AND TMQL at the same time. It would be a rather
high entry price for me as a developer.

--

> If not, how do you think we can avoid that?

> | One option would be to allow only maps or fragment thereofs and let
> | TMQL be completely opaque about this.
>
> How does that work?

I had this problem with AsTMa? as well. Here I decided to allow only
_one_ data structure to be passed back, that of a maplet (it is
nothing else than an association _including_ all necessary topic
data). So, if you say

  foreach $a [ (is-associated-with) # I like that one, it comes from a student map
             ] return $a

you get a list of these associations together with the topics
they include (type, scope, roles, players). If you say

  foreach [ $p (person) ] return $p

you also get a list of maplets (a single topic is a trivial maplet).

--

With that I simplified things for me as language designer and
hopefully also the developer. If he/she chooses only to see strings,

  foreach [ $p (person) ]
    return $p/bn # returns only the basename as string

If the developer then likes climbing through the data structure, then
he asks for $p only and drills down himself.

> | Another (mumble, mumble) would be to allow topics and assocations
> | only, but this has some problems....
>
> Yes... :-)

I think we _should_ allow to pass out structures. Again, whether we
can simply inject all of TMDM into the language is less clear to me.

If I say in Toma

   select $t.basename, .....

and I get a basename item where in 99% of the cases I am interested in
the string, I would not be too happy to do the XPath-like conversion

   select string($t.basename), ...

Argh, I do not like typing :-)

--

Another consideration in this context is 'typing'. XQuery has done
that to quite some extent and I know that many people in the database

Introducing all TMDM data structures would probably add another
type dimension into TMQL.

--

One option we have is to treat this as "language pragma"

  pragma INTERFACE_MODEL (TMDM)
  return $t/bn   # returns basename item

  pragma INTERFACE_MODEL (simple)
  return $t/bn   # return string

  pragma INTERFACE_MODEL (maplet)
  return $t      # returns topic as part of a maplet

only allowed on the outest level so that it does not affect language
semantics, but only interface semantics.

Or, to choose a reasonable default and use 'ATTRIBUTE'
(meta-information on data):

  return $t/bn'TMDM   # returns basename as item
  return $t/bn        # default is stringification
  return $t/bn'VALUE  # same

--

\rho