[tmql-wg] Result set requirements

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:46:34 +0100

* Robert Barta

| I would assume that a
|
|       select $topic.bn ...
|
| could be reasonably defaulted to 'string' output.

Actually, I'm not so sure. We currently have queries that do return
topic name items, and that need to do so. So I think there needs to be
a way to distinguish between the item and its string value.

| What I am bit sceptical about is to allow _any_ kind of node type in
| the result. So, to allow basename and occurrence and this and that
| items as described in the TM DM as possible parts of a list result.
| Going that path would link TMQL standard-wise VERY STRONGLY to TMDM
| and I am not a friend of strong couplings.

Don't you think that the very design of the TMQL would bind us very
strongly to TMDM anyway? If not, how do you think we can avoid that?

| One option would be to allow only maps or fragment thereofs and let
| TMQL be completely opaque about this.

How does that work?

| Another (mumble, mumble) would be to allow topics and assocations
| only, but this has some problems....