[tmql-wg] Result set requirements

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:00:11 +0100

* Rani Pinchuk

| My plan was actually to return all the topics that are in the result
| set, but this is also not that good, because when someone looks only
| for the base names in certain scope, it might be far too heavy to
| retrieve all rest of the topic data (like resourceData that might be
| in those topics)...

Exactly. Not only that, but sometimes what is wanted is precisely to
return a specific topic name. (We do this kind of thing to bind it
into a context so that it can be edited in our web editor framework.
No doubt there are many other uses for it.)

| Thanks for the explanation. I will have to think how to incorporate
| this functionality into Toma. One difficulty is that when we allow
| results that are not scalars, we cannot present in proper way the
| results (like the nice output tables I have now) - so if I want to
| implement it I should already start to think about API in the
| environment I code. Any ideas?

I think you shouldn't worry about it. Just say that the result
contains information items from the TMDM, and then implementors can
worry about how to represent it. You can still do a standard API if
you want, but that then becomes a separate layer.