[sc34wg3] Problem with wildcards

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Mon Mar 2 05:18:22 EST 2009

* Lars Heuer

> Good catch. That's a problem, especially if we have some normative CTM
> files like the TMCL ontology which are utilized by many topic maps.

Yes. That's how I thought of it. I realized all TMCL constraints will
merge, because they all have itemids from the same included public file.

> Well, we have had a similar directive which would do nearly the same
> thing: The import-directive
> <http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/open/0880rev.htm#dir-template-
> import>.
> That directive imports only the templates and the wildcards would be
> resolved against the master file's document IRI.
>
> I was never a big fan of the include-directive and favoured always the
> import-directive, so I'd support the proposal to drop the item
> identifiers of the included file.

I was thinking of dropping only the ones for wildcards. What do you
think?

> Anyway, this was my first reaction on this, but I believe that I have
> to think a bit more about it, since dropping the item identifiers of
> the included file may not work if A includes B and B includes C.

Exactly. However, wildcards are created anew each time, so if we only
do it for wildcards we should be OK. Top-level wildcards should
perhaps merge, and so should be exempted?

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/