[sc34wg3] [topicmapmail] PSI issue

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Thu Jul 23 10:39:46 EDT 2009

Ken,

Thanks for the quick response!

Just a hurried partial response:

G. Ken Holman wrote:
> At 2009-07-23 06:32 -0400, you wrote:

<snip>
> I think you can do with explicitly using "/element/" or "/attribute."
> in the PSI.  If the PSI set is assumed to be for the XML vocabulary,
> then you can probably get away with the following set of files:
>
> http://psi.somewhere.com/odf/1.0/vocabulary/elementName/index.html
> http://psi.somewhere.com/odf/1.0/vocabulary/elementName/attributeName/index.html
>
> and the following PSI strings:
>
> http://psi.somewhere.com/odf/1.0/vocabulary/elementName
> http://psi.somewhere.com/odf/1.0/vocabulary/elementName/attributeName
>
> which would be resolved in a server to the index.html files.  This
> allows you to have an entire directory in which to put artefacts that
> might be referenced by the PSI documentation (images, etc.).

I am assuming you intend for "vocabulary" to be replace by the namespace
prefix? Yes?

Because there are conflicts of names across namespaces.

 From ODF: <meta:editing-cycles> vs. <text:editing-cycles>.

Thus your suggestion becomes:

http://psi.somewhere.com/odf/1.0/meta/editing-cycles

http://psi.somewhere.com/odf/1.0/text/editing-cycles

But by leaving out element/attribute, I lose the ability to talk about
an attribute that may have the same value space for multiple elements.
Yes? At least for use with one PSI.

That is for every case of an attribute I have to create the longer
listing. Doable and I did something similar in the current ODF draft but
duplicating the definition seems untidy at best and does tend to lose
the information that the same value space applies across multiple elements.

Having said all that, it may be preferable to be too specific and rely
upon a topic map engine and/or user interface to present the necessary
information in a user friendly way. I am hopeful that PSIs are generally
going to be presented to users as pick lists of names, etc. where the
actual mechanics aren't really visible. Not unlike picking a font for a
text. All sorts of things have to go right for that to happen but for
the most part I am blissfully unaware of them. The use of PSIs should be
the same.

And I may be mistaken but I have the definite impression that I have
encountered reuse of an element or attribute name, which would required
the use of element/attribute in the path to disambiguate it.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau