[sc34wg3] TMQL: Restrict tm-content and xml-content to return clause

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Fri Feb 27 10:30:55 EST 2009

Hi Robert,

[...]
> So your question "is this really necessary" I reinterpret as asking do
> we want people to guide NOT to use this orthogonal feature.

More or less. It is not the case that I want to dictate what's good or
what people should use, I wanted to simplify TMQL a bit. TMQL is a
relative complex beast since it supports Topic Maps and XML, FLWR
clauses and select clauses etc. I know you can break down everything
to the path language, but it is still a complex thing. And if we can
make TMQL a bit simpler, we should do it.

Anyway, if you can express the same in a nested query, my attempt to
simplify TMQL is not very fruitful. ;)

Sometime I think TMQL tries to do too many things at once instead of
keeping the focus on one thing: Topic Maps. Maybe everything works as
it is in TMQL but sometimes I wonder if someone has verified that TMQL
works with all its bells and whistles.... XML everywhere, CTM
everywhere... . Next time, we should start with something really
simple and let that simple thing evolve.... ;)

Best regards,
Lars
--
Semagia