[sc34wg3] CTM for non-SVO languages

ktrainor ktrainor at ligent.net
Wed Feb 6 11:30:21 EST 2008

Hi All,

This may be the beginning of a new thread.  If so, I apologize.  Due to
technical difficulties, I have been unable to post here for the last year.
Now that I can post, I will have to learn a bit about the posting protocol
as I go.

I think this thread is about the use of curlies and semis in templates.  I
think that Lars is saying that non-SVO languages can be handled with the
machinery already in place.  I am not a non-SVO speaker, so I cannot speak
to that issue one way or the other.  But, there was another issue raised
about template syntax in Kyoto that I had an interest in.  I felt that this
issue was solved by the adoption of curlies and semis.

My issue was that I was told that in some cases the only way to end a
template was with a double line-feed.  I said that counting on line-feeds as
terminators was bad practice from a quality management perspective.  So,
when curlies were proposed, I felt that curlies solved that issue.  If
curlies have been cancelled, then I want to make sure that we have solved
this issue that I raised about using line-feeds as terminators.

The more recent discussion about non-SVO languages has me suspicious that we
are relying on line feeds as separators as well.  I can't tell for sure from
the discussion.  But, if we are, this is an equally bad practice from a
quality management point of view.

So, if those who oppose curlies and semis could address these issues in a
post, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Kevin

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:48:10 +0100, Lars Heuer wrote