[sc34wg3] Removing added scope from <mergeMap>

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:43:36 +0100

I dont think that Lars Marius and I disagree with the value of being able to
attribute accountability or Scope when merging topic maps.

The decision for removing it from the syntax was two fold:

1. we really were aiming for an interchange syntax and not an authoring
syntax and to this end were looking to remove constructs that 'did stuff'.
We wanted to remove mergemap altogether.

2. In general we wanted all processing and semantics to be external of the
representation syntax, i.e. Applications or external declaration language.
We were thinking about a family of syntaxes where interchange was strickly
representation.

I want clean lines of distinction, modularisation, of the models and
syntaxes in the ISO Topic Maps family of standards. MergeMap is not
something I dont want, it is something that doesn't belong in the
representation syntax.

Cheers,

Graham