[sc34wg3] Added scope on <mergeMap/>

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ontopia.net
Fri Apr 21 11:19:07 EDT 2006

I'm sorry to reopen this can of worms, but I wasn't really very
satisfied with the discussion of this issue. Let me see if I can
summarize it in a way that helps us move towards some kind of
consensus on this (as far as I can tell, nobody in either camp has
moved in any direction yet).

Below is a summary of all the major arguments in either direction
that I'm aware of. If I've missed anything, or you disagree with my
summary of the list "consensus" on any of these, please let me know.

--- #1: Added scope also adds complexity

I think there is general agreement that added scopes do complicate
both the specification and the processing significantly. (The thread
starting at

   http://www.isotopicmaps.org/pipermail/sc34wg3/2006-January/
003081.html

gives a good overview of the issues.)

I think there is also general agreement that it's possible to come up
with watertight processing semantics, and that it is possible to
implement this.

--- #2: Added scope allows unmerging

I think the pro-added scope camp still believes this, while the
contra-camp never believed it. This is probably the only important
point that hasn't been settled yet, so I'll start a separate thread
in the hope that we can reach agreement on this.

--- #3: XTM 1.0 had added scope

I think there's general agreement that this implies that if both #1
and #2 above are true, then that's not enough of an argument to
warrant removing added scope. I'm not sure what the consensus is if
it turns out that only #1 is true.

--- #4: <mergeMap/> is authoring

I think the consensus here is that whether the statement is true or
not, this feature was in XTM 1.0 and is so widely used (and useful!)
that removing it in XTM 2.0 is not really an option.

--
Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian               http://www.ontopia.net
+47 98 21 55 50                             http://www.garshol.priv.no