[sc34wg3] TMQL, State of Affairs

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 24 May 2005 19:01:21 +0100

Lars

> | Topic Maps [1] are a completely different data model so you need a
> | new query language.
>
> My reply to this would be the same as Jan's, so if the UK is not
> satisfied with this reply I would appreciate some statement to this
> effect.

Then say so, and explain why TMDM is so radically different from every other
data model in the universe that it needs its own query language. My point of
view is that if it can be expressed in XML it can be queried using XQuery,
and if it can be stored in a relational database it can be queried using
SQL. If your statement implies that this model cannot be properly expressed
in XML or stored in a relational database then people have a right to know.
If your statement does not imply this then explain why using the model
introduces efficiencies. Don't, please, expect others to understand this
implicitly.

Martin