[sc34wg3] Topic Equality test

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:47:08 +0200

* Patrick Durusau
|=20
| Equality rule: Two topic items are equal if they have:
|=20
| - at least one equal string in their [subject identifiers] properties,
|=20
| - at least one equal string in their [source locators] properties,
|=20
| - at lease one equal string in their [subject locators] properties,
|=20
| - an equal string in the [subject identifiers] property of the one
|   topic item and the [source locators] property of the other, or
|=20
| - the same information item in their [reified] property.
|=20
| (Note, although not explicity stated, I am assuming "or" applies to
| all these equality conditions.)

It does. The "or" appears between the last and the second-to-last
condition. Isn't that sufficient?

| Shouldn't the forth item, "an equal string in the [subject
| identifiers] property..." read:
|=20
| "at least one equal string in the [subject identifiers] property..."

That certainly is the intent, and I guess it is also what the text
should say.
=20
| Reasoning that the test is:
|=20
| topic one {{subject identifiers}{source locators}} intersection topic
| two {{subject identifiers}{source locators}} does not equal the empty
| set?

This is somewhat wider than test 3, which is

  topic1 {subject identifiers} intersect topic2 {source locators} !=3D =D8 =
or
  topic2 {subject identifiers} intersect topic1 {source locators} !=3D =D8

| That is to say for merging purposes it really doesn't matter which
| test, 1, 2, or 4 triggered the merge, it is enough that the merging
| was triggered?

Not really. Test 3 is a separate test, but I guess what you are saying
is that it can be generalized to also cover 1 and 2. Test 4 is
entirely separate, however.

Tests 1-3 are written separately simply because that seems more
logical, given that each test corresponds to a certain "merge test".

--=20