[sc34wg3] Subject Locators

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:58:10 +0200

Bingo, I think I understand, reading further Section 6.2.2 "Manipulating Shadows"
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/evaluation.htm#sec_6_2

"Defining resource such that a URI identifies a concept rather than a document leaves us
with another question: how does a user access, manipulate, or transfer a concept such that
they can get something useful when a hypertext link is selected? REST answers that
question by defining the things that are manipulated to be representations of the
identified resource, rather than the resource itself. An origin server maintains a mapping
from resource identifiers to the set of representations corresponding to each resource. A
resource is therefore manipulated by transferring representations through the generic
interface defined by the resource identifier."

So you *address* the resource through http, but what you *get* in any case is a
*representation* of the resource. Is that what you meant? And it makes no difference if
the resource type is "concept", "information resource" or "organization".
In that case, we fully agree ...

Bernard