[sc34wg3] Association items

Nikita Ogievetsky sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:15:19 -0400

Dear Patrick and all dislikers of unary associations,

Could you please model this:
I maintained a topic map that contained association between parents that
gave their genes material to a child (supposing I do not care about
children, so I do not keep them in the topic map)
Then one day a guy comes in with an embryo in a tube.
Or perhaps it was a prokaryote that asexually reproduced by binary fission?

In any case, do I have to throw my system away, and write a new one?
What happens with the information in the mean time?

Yes you can represent everything in 2+ associations.
But sometimes you can not: if you have certain ontology to fit in and if
modifying ontology on the fly is not the luxury that you posses.

Hope that everybody enjoys the summer (or winter).

-Nikita