[sc34wg3] A plea for CTM and a request for more input on requirements and evaluation

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:16:52 +0100

Some comments:

(h) -- I think this should be interpreted as meaning that it should be
possible to format CTM (with whitespace and line-separator characters)
to make it easy to read. Its always possible to write hard-to-read
code...even in Python ;-)

(q) -- I don't think this should be a requirement for CTM - I think it
would more be a requirements that any graphical notation should cover
TMDM. Then CTM "integration" with a graphical notation would be a
logical conclusion.

(v) -- XTM -> TMDM -> CTM and back is not necessarily a lossless
transformation. For example XTM -> TMDM loses information about the
grouping of topic references under association roles and the nesting of
variant names.

Two more requirements that I think you should consider:

1) CTM must support the creation of modular topic maps with minimal
"import" mechanism. Something like LTM's INCLUDE directive.

2) CTM must support the inclusion of author comments within a CTM file,
and support the "commenting-out" of CTM constructs.

Cheers,

Kal