[sc34wg3] Compact syntax requirement question

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:52:54 +0200

* Murray Altheim

| Indeed, it might be remembered that the reason that IDs where required
| in XTM was that absent an ID a <topic> element is almost impossible
| to reliably obtain otherwise, i.e., without a uniquely-identifying
| ID the element is just one in a big soup, and XPath or other forms of
| XML-based querying software would be insufficient.

I guess I should point out that in XTM 1.1 IDs are not required. (For
background, see the disposition of comments on the XTM 1.1 ballot, or
the Amsterdam meeting notes. Both are in the SC34 document repository.)

| A <topic> element absent an ID cannot be addressed except via its
| content, [...]

It can be referenced using <subjectIndicatorRef/> and <resourceRef/>
in XTM.

| [...] and in a Topic Map process this then relies upon tools (such
| as a query language) that we don't yet have available -- and to my
| understanding that Topic Map query language will not operate at the
| syntax level but at the Topic Map level, likely needing the IDs at
| the syntax level to function.

That is correct.

| I realize that these are somewhat different requirements than what
| might be considered for a "Compact Syntax" but should still be taken
| into account.

If we add a note that it must be possible to refer to topics using
only IDs, does that cover the requirements you are referring to, or is
there more?