[sc34wg3] Re: Reducing redundant constructs

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:39:22 +0200

* Patrick Durusau

| Hmmm, let me see if I can simply say the problem without offering a
| solutiion first:
|
| proxy = set of properties
|
| so, as representatives of subjects, a set of proxies is a set of a
| set of properties. (This I understand to be your position.)

Yep.

| However, we know that proxies have identity as constructs, separate
| and apart from their representing subjects.

That certainly was the case in the old TMRM, yes.

| The problem is that as a practical matter, proxies have identifiers
| in order for them to be addressed.

Yep.

| So, if we continue with the draft as written (I think you are correct
| in your reading), then there is no rule to deal with those identifiers
| for "identical" proxies.

Yep. In fact the current draft says that identifiers are assigned by a
function that takes the proxies as a parameter, so equal proxies will
by definition have the same identifiers as well.

| That is a problem as other subject proxies may have references to
| the identifiers for subject proxies that may be "identical," the
| fate of which under the current draft is unspecified. (A bad thing.)

I think it's pretty clearly specified; it just does something
different from what you'd like it to do. :-)

| The more I think about it, although I would prefer to avoid
| contradicting my own draft, the more I think it is good that this
| issue came up. I think resolution will require discussion face to
| face in Montreal (and perhaps beyond).

That may well be. I'm content to conclude that this is a problem that
will be dealt with at some later point.