[sc34wg3] Re: 4.1 Introduction "well-defined"

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:58:22 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| This comment was also made by the US National Body, and the reply to
| it can be found in the disposition of comments (submitted to the
| secretariat, but not yet posted in the SC34 document repository).

It was pointed out to me off-list that this reply wasn't very helpful,
given that the disposition of comments isn't available yet.

Here is the relevant section:

   "Well-defined" carries different connotations from "defined", and
   it is the former we want in this case. To quote Wikipedia[1]: "In
   mathematics, the term well-defined is used to specify that a
   certain concept (a function, a property, a relation, etc.) is
   defined in a mathematical or logical way using a set of base axioms
   in an entirely unambiguous way." This is what the choice of that
   term is intended to signify.

[1] <URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-defined >