[sc34wg3] Re: Undated references?

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:23:30 +0200

* Patrick Durusau

| In section 2, first paragraph, the latest TMDM reads (in part):
|
| "For undated references, the latest edition of the referenced
| document (including any amendments) applies."
|
| I assume there is ambiguity in what is meant by "undated reference"
| because in reading the list of documents, in one sense they are all
| "dated" as dates are given.

Yeah, so in theory we could have removed that sentence, but the
difficulty is that this is ISO boilerplate. The ISO directives require
this sentence to be there, so...

| Do you mean references that don't have a date in the unique
| identifier?

They mean references that don't have a date, basically. In TMDM there
aren't any of those.

| If so, then the dated references sentence is unnecessary since none
| of the resources are identified by unique identifiers with dates.
|
| In that case, you could replace the last two sentences with:
|
| "The latest edition of any referenced document (including any
| amendments) applies."

It would have been better to cut the sentence about undated
references, but given ISO directives that doesn't seem to be an
option.