[sc34wg3] Line breaks in CXTM

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:53:46 +1000

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:43:43PM +0100, Steve Pepper wrote:
> Secondly, the most readily available diff tools (such as Unix
> diff) won't work with such documents because they are line or
> record oriented. Again this is a great inconvenience which I
> think is unnecessary.

xmldiff? Or piping the XML through xmllint --format is not an
option?

> I would like therefore to propose that the spec be amended to
> include the insertion of suitable line breaks. Essentially
> section 5 should specify the insertion of line feeds such
> that canonicalization according to XML-C14N would result in a
> document with line feeds after every end-tag, and also after
> every start-tag for elements that have element content or are
> empty.

Steve,

If I understand that correctly, I would strongly discourage that. We
are trying to fix a problem in the area of __canonicalized XML__ in a
TM context.  As XTM has no mixed content creating a baseline with
_any_ formatting tool is always possible and is orthogonal to CXTM.

The argument, that this is difficult to read for a human is IMHO no
argument here.

\rho