[sc34wg3] RM workshop agenda

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:17:49 +0200

* Patrick Durusau

| I may have been unclear. I was referring to the list of requirements
| that WG3 drafted last summer, not the restatement of them by SteveN
| and myself. As I recall, you were working the keyboard.

I couldn't find this on my system in the iso/montreal-2003 folder, but
that doesn't mean I didn't do it.

| Your position on the requirements may have changed since that time
| but I am not sure we should simply throw the requirements process
| back open to start from scratch once again. Well, assuming that
| delay is something we want to avoid.

I think probably what I captured was your requirements, in an effort
to understand what they were, rather than my own, but if you feel it
reflects your thinking then that's fine with me. It gives us something
to start from. The important point is just that *someone* has to agree
with them, otherwise it's kind of a waste. :)

| I think part of my disagreement centers in your language
| "...author's search for an efficient representation of topic
| maps....". (in Background)
|
| Personally I don't view ISO 13250 as having a goal of efficiently
| representing topic maps,

I agree fully. That was the background for coming up with this idea,
not the reason why ISO should be interested in the idea. It's the four
bullet points that gives the requirements, not the rest, so please
just ignore that.

| I am really tired and will probably be going out with my boss
| tonight but perhaps we can exchange a few posts before Montreal on
| the the "implementation neutral" issue before the meeting?

I don't think there's any disagreement on this, actually. I don't want
any implementation-specific stuff in the standard, either. (Nor do I
think Graham, as an empolis employee working on a different
implementation from the one I'm working on, would let me put any in.)

However, I don't see XTM/TMDM as an implementation; I see them as
being topic maps. This has been a running debate for three years now,
so I'm not sure it's worth spending any more time on this particular
aspect.

| Realize that you may wish to term the TMDM "implementation neutral"
| as well so we will need to find some other term to describe what I
| am trying to say.

Yes. :-)