[sc34wg3] Look Ma! No Properties!

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:30:38 +0200

Steve Pepper wrote:

> * Jan Algermissen:
>
> | Wow....you are the first person I see to come up with a purely declarative
> | merging rule, which is (warning: implementation issue ahead :o) extremely
> | important in order to get efficient merging. To make it possible at all.
> | At least if you want to have 100% generic merging rules.
> | (Note: IMHO, a merging rule is simply a constraint. In the case of tau, it
> | is a constraint on the set of all members.
>
> I'm curious to know why the examples Lars Marius and I gave
> in http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0497.htm don't qualify
> as "purely declarative merging rules".

I can't see one that does not involve procedural aspects (but
you might want to point me to one that I missed).

Maybe our understanding of 'declarativeness' differs, though.

It is more precise to say that Robert's 'merging rules' are
constraints on the topic map and that I have not seen *this*
before.

Ok?

Jan

Is it simply because