[sc34wg3] Look Ma! No Properties!

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:22:52 +0200

Robert Barta wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:08:11PM -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
> > Ok, the \tau model has no properties.
>
> The \tau model is based on assertions only. Properties are seen as
> only a special form of an assertion, yes.

Uhm...I don't get it. How are properties seen as a special form of
assertion?

> Just to make an example to avoid a too abstract discussion: Lets
> assume we model students with their names, their shoesize and their
> student ID (SID). In the 'assembler-like' tau model we would only have
> assertions:
>
>  { < name-haver:     jack-learner >, < name     : "Jack Learner" > },
>  { < shoesize-haver: jack-learner >, < shoesize : 1234 > }
>  { < sid-haver:      jack-learner >, < SID      : 12345678 > }

I guess I am missing the step how you group together the assertions that
have members (r1,p1),(r2,p1),(r3,p1) with p1 E N     (not I !!)
and how this enables the forall semantics on p1, allowing you to
view name,shoesize and SID as properties.

> forall [ $s1
>          SID: $sid1 ]
>    => not exists [ $s2
>                    SID: $sid1 ]

If I got that right....

This might reveal that I did not study (and not fully understand section 2
of tau, but I would be very thankfull for an explanation in prose.

Question on 2.1:
I assume that the assertions in the tuples (a1,a2,...an) all have the
same set of roles, yes? If not, how would the projection operator work?

I am missing how you determine that two assertions have the same set
of roles?

I guess I just miss that, can you explain?

Jan