[sc34wg3] Re: FYI: Yet another TMRM Formalization (well, not really)

Ann Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:03:50 +0100

Yes it's helpful - thanks.

Ann W.

-----Original Message-----
From: sc34wg3-admin@isotopicmaps.org [mailto:sc34wg3-admin@isotopicmaps.org]
On Behalf Of Jan Algermissen
Sent: 14 July 2004 16:02
To: sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Subject: Re: [sc34wg3] Re: FYI: Yet another TMRM Formalization (well, not
really)

Ann Wrightson wrote:

> Jan said:
>
> - Interestingly, what you describe is an *Application* of the RM. You
>   define (although implicitly) a set of properties and a certain
>   assertion structure (also only a set of properties as in the
>   assertion structire propsed by the RM). In essence, you defnine
>   a TMA (and operations on the properties provided by this TMA).
>
> I say:
>
> Jan, it would help me a lot if you showed exactly how this works. Not
> all the detail, just enough so I can understand how you made the
judgement.

Very briefly (not much time, sorry):

The RM defines an abstract information structure: sets of property/value
pairs (with typed values). Everything else is semantics and is inside a TMA
(or schema) definition (property A means this and that, property B means
this and that,...)

The RM itself defines the assertion structure in terms of properties (that
is the annex about all the SIDPs and OPs). In fact, the proposed assertion
structure is actually a 'core' TMA.

Robert also (implicitly) defines roperties when he defines 'members' and how
they form assertions. He defines a property called 'Name' (including or
excluding the 'literals', depending on their significance).

The nice thing about all this is that you get correct merging of assertions
'for free' since it is completely defined by the properties that form the
assertions (A-topics merge if their a-sidp values are equal).

Does that help?

Jan

Jan Algermissen                           http://www.topicmapping.com
Consultant & Programmer	                  http://www.gooseworks.org