[sc34wg3] Pre-publication draft of XTM 1.1 CD

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:06:10 +0000

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> Graham and I have finally produced the pre-publication draft of the
> XTM 1.1 CD, which you can find at:

> It would be great if those of you who have the time and interest could
> review it, and post comments. We expect to publish the official CD
> (with whatever modifications turn out to be necessary) early next week.

Lars Marius,

I am curious as to why the 1.1 DTD is considered informative, i.e.,
why it can't be considered normative. I don't have any plans to use
the RELAX-NG schema, hence I can't claim conformance if I only use
the XTM 1.1 DTD. That doesn't seem quite right. I'd like to be able
to validate using the DTD and claim XML syntax conformance to an
ISO standard.

Since there are so few differences between XTM 1.0 and XTM 1.1, I
wonder if the rationale or explanation for each of the changes
could either be spelled out (just briefly) following each bullet
(since Annex E is informative it's not horribly important what
exactly the text says, just a help for those interested in using
1.1), or if it's not deemed appropriate to have it in the standard
itself, a pointer to the rationale? This would be beneficial infor-
mation to those upgrading/updating their software and Topic Maps.

And if not in the document at all, perhaps just answer on the list:

 >  The instanceOf element is now allowed inside the baseName element.

What does it mean? This one is the most confusing to me, in terms
of what it means to the processing model, the Topic Maps "conceptual"
model, etc.

 >  The resourceRef element is now allowed inside the parameters,
 >  instanceOf, and roleSpec elements.

What do each of these mean?

 >  The topicMap element now has a new version attribute.

(This one seems pretty obvious.)

Thanks very much!

Murray

Murray Altheim                    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

     "Iraqi sovereignty will be established by appointees
      appointing appointees to select appointees to select
      appointees. Add the fact that Bremer was appointed to
      his post by President Bush and Bush to his by the US
      Supreme Court, and you have the glorious new democratic
      tradition of the appointocracy: rule by an appointee's
      appointee's appointees' appointees' appointees' selectees."
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1130138,00.html