[sc34wg3] Occurrences in the data model

08 Jan 2004 07:43:30 +0100

* Peter Brown

| Would/Could it be useful to know whether the concept - however
| formulated - of scope helps here: can we state that we are
| interested in "documents with version numbers between 1 and 3"; or
| "items in the night sky between RA/DEC coordinates xy and x'y' " ?

I think the way to do this is to treat the version numbers or
coordinates as values, and then to have comparator operators on them
that would allow you to query for the results you want.

Using topics to represents points in a continuum (regardless of the
number of dimensions) just seems wrong to me. Sowa claims that a
mereology (as opposed to a set) can handle this fine, but I'm not sure
that makes any difference for us.