[sc34wg3] Occurrences in the data model

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:55:20 -0000

>Would/Could it be useful to know whether the concept - however formulated -
of scope helps here: can we state that we are interested in "documents with
version numbers between 1 and 3"; or "items in the night sky between RA/DEC
coordinates xy and x'y' " ? It seems that all the debate about facets/scope
has looked (correctly) at the issue of an "axis" of interest, but not this
problem of discrete and indiscrete values/ranges.

Actually this was thought about in some lengths in 13250. Because we were
using HyTime we could define discrete axes ofany granularity and even link
axes of different granularities. The pointers used for facet values could
then point to positions on axes.

Martin Bryan