[sc34wg3] Comments on Tau model

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:52:10 +0200

* Robert Barta

| Of course, we could approach all this with a "requirements-driven"
| approach.  We could have a list (takes looooong discussions over
| many years and still..), then someone would sit down and write and
| then someone else would evaluate whether....
| [...]
| Much more realistic seems to me that we have a rough concensus,
| build a prototype/sketch, see how far we come and use several
| iterations of this.

We are trying to follow the rough consensus approach now, and the last
part of the slides in N533[1] document the attempt at establishing the
basis for a rough consensus.

| You would surprised to hear that I choose a structure quite similar to
| \tau assertions for my new Perl software. Not only is it amazing
| memory effective, first experiments also show it is fast as hell as I
| use only lists and lists of lists (Perl is rather efficient
| thereby). And I have not even started to memoize critical functions.

I'm not sure you could generalize this to say that this structure will
be very efficient in other languages/systems and that it will be more
effective than other structures that might be chosen. (I'm not sure
here means precisely what it says.)

| Mathematically, merging (or more precise: the various flavors
| thereof) is done with TMQL expressions.

I guess that by "done" you mean "defined in the standard". I have no
complaints with that.

[1] <URL: http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0533.pdf >