[sc34wg3] Individual contribution on the U.S. N.B. position onthe progress ion of Topic Map standards

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:05:09 +0200

Robert Barta wrote:

> My impression - and here I speak with the hat of a computer scientist
> on - is that the TM community tries to burden the "data model" with
> all sorts of 'semantical' constraints. I do not think this is a clever
> move and it will bite us later when we have to integrate TM?L.

As far as the RM goes it is not true that it is burdened with
'semantical' constraints.

Propably the most compelling way to say what the RM has to say about
merging rules is that the RM answers the question *what a merging
rule is* and that it is thus the foundation for creating languages
for defining merging rules (TMCL if you want).

Jan