Inappropriate citation: was Re: [sc34wg3] DM conformance

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:50:14 -0500

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau

<snip>

> Here's the Scope clause of the current ISO 13250-3 draft (not yet
> published; working on that):
>
>   This part of ISO/IEC 13250 defines an XML-based interchange syntax
>   for topic maps, which can be used to interchange instances of the
>   data model defined in [ISO 13250-2]. It also defines a mapping from
>   the interchange syntax to the data model. The syntax is defined with
>   a RELAX-NG schema, and more precision is provided through the
>   mapping to the data model, which effectively also defines the
>   interpretation of the syntax.
>
> This answers the question, doesn't it?

No, because like members of other NBs I cannot rely on documents that
are not part of the ISO process.

Ann Wrightson cautioned against arguments based upon private discussions
  or decisions that are not part of the ISO process at an ISO meeting
earlier this year. I believe your co-editor Graham Moore was present at
that meeting.

Realize that we all have "private" discussions as we draft and re-draft
proposals. It is however, inappropriate to cite such discussions or
drafts as though they were part of the ISO process. Those are two
distinct activities.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--