[sc34wg3] TM Data Model issue: prop-subj-address-values

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:19:33 +0100

Graham wrote:

| Kal wrote:
|
| >> FACT: 1 topic can only represent one subject
|
| No, 1 topic *should* represent one subject but as we know the SLUO is not
| achievable.

I disagree. A (single) topic always represents a single subject
*by definition*. (Of course, that might be a complex subject,
like "The members of WG3", but it's still a single subject.)

A single subject, on the other hand, may be represented by
multiple topics. Within a single topic map we try to avoid
this, in order to achieve subject collocation (aka SLUO),
but we cannot guarantee that we always succeed.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
Chief Executive Officer, Ontopia