[sc34wg3] Draft agenda for Montreal meeting

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:59:23 -0400

Just looking at things from the administrative point of view:

OASIS has the full liaison connection with SC34 itself, which means they can
comment on any SC34 project, not just TMs. (Remember, they got into SC34
primarily over RELAX NG.) Karl Best is responsible for their end of the
liaison, and so he's nominally responsible for appointing delegates to SC34
and its WGs; in practice this seems to be delegated. We also have the right
to comment, as SC34, on relevant OASIS projects.

>From the SC34 side, I generally accept that any OASIS member (whether from a
TM committee or not) is welcome at any SC34 or WG meeting. I'm not
responsible for determining whether opinons expressed are personal or
officially from OASIS.

When we started this liaison, there seemed to be an informan understanding
that in the area of TMs, SC34 would be responsible for standardization and
OASIS would work on applications, support, and promotion. This is not
binding; it just seemed appropriate and practical at the time. How things
work out from the OASIS side isn't SC34's concern: we just accept whatever
the liaison representatives bring in.

(I think that JTC1 would be unhappy if we did OASIS business during an SC34
meeting, even if the participants in the SC34 meeting were also all OASIS
members. So we need to keep OASIS questions on another mailing list, unless
SC34 is in the process of generating a liaison to OASIS.)

Looking at it from a personal point of view:

I support the OASIS work, but I find there's a limit to what I can
contribute. But I want to be at least somewhere in the picture (after all, I
just renewed my membership this week!).

Jim