[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

21 Jan 2003 23:02:16 +0100

* Anthony B. Coates

| To summarise, Patrick convinced me that the RM is not a metamodel in
| the most technically correct sense, since it doesn't provide a
| general model-of-models framework.

But that's exactly what it does! It just happens to call the models
applications rather than models, but they are models all the same.
The SAM is intended to be an RM application, for example...

(In fact, SRN seems to have started using the term "model" rather than
"application" already.)

| From my reading, it really seeks to provide a low-level canonical
| model of topic maps that can be used to unambiguously express what
| happens when you perform certain TM operations, such as merging.

Which, BTW, is precisely what the SAM does.

| On the other hand, in the time since Patrick & I finished this
| thread ourselves, I have wondered whether the RM could be used to
| represent RDF and/or DAML+OIL/OWL.

It definitely could, and I would be interested to see the results of
doing so.