[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

Ann Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:18:16 -0000

Looks promising to me.

Ann W.

Steve Pepper wrote:

You convinced me. Simplicity is a virtue as well. Let's
look at *these* two names side by side:

(1) Topic Maps Metamodel
(2) Topic Maps Information Set

(a) We seem to have agreed that the "RM" really is a model
     whose purpose is to allow the definition of other
     models (such as the "SAM") and that, as such, it is
     most accurately called a "Metamodel". Pretty much
     everyone seems to have overcome their fear of that
     term now.

(b) Using the term "Information Set" for the "SAM" is
     both accurate (since that's the formalism it uses)
     and self-explanatory -- at least for those who know
     the purpose of the XML Information Set, which I would
     say constitutes a large proportion of our audience
     for the "SAM" (as opposed to our audience for topic
     maps in general, of course). (This is also Good
     Marketing.)

(c) Avoiding the use of the term "Model" on its own for
     either model removes the confusion caused by the
     fact that *both* are models that happen to work at
     different levels.

Are we getting close now?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net> Convenor,
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps) Ontopia AS, Waldemar

HEDRA Limited=20
Registered Offices: Craven House, West Street, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 7ES=20
Tel.  01252 719000=20
Fax   01252 719111=20
Web   http://www.hedra.com=20
Registered in England number 2491619=20
VAT registration number 537 7047 30=20
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and=20
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom=20
they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please=20
notify the sender and delete the original message from your system.=20

This email and any attachments to it have been checked for viruses.=20
However, you should verify that both the email and any attachments to it =

are virus free and the sender accepts no responsibility for any damage=20
which may be caused by the inadvertent transmission of executable code.=20