[sc34wg3] New SAM PSIs

13 Feb 2003 18:25:36 +0100

* Holger Rath

| [subclass loops]
|
| DAML+OIL defines the equality between classes that way.

I guess this may not be entirely clear, as it's rather subtle. If two
classes are in the same superclass/subclass loop it means they have
the same extension (the same set of instances). However, they may
still have different intentions, and so not be the *same* class; they
just happen to share extensions.

One (admittedly far-fetched) example is that of the class 'person' and
the class 'sentient being'. As far as we know, these have the same
extension, but their intentions are definitely different.