[sc34wg3] Editorial structure of N0396

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:52:19 -0400 (EDT)

<slash>

[lars]
> The facts here are that if we don't send SAM to CD now TMCL and TMQL
> will have to be delayed. Work on them will not be able to start now,
> but will have to await resolution of SAM/RM.

I don't understand this statement. At least if I understood Norway's
position correctly, the SAM cannot and should not be "sent to CD now." And
work on TMCL and TMQL *has* begun "now", unless gathering requirements is
not a form of work. (Certainly it was always seemed like work to me.)

And leaving aside the question of whether delay of TMCL and TMQL is
appropriate or inappropriate, I don't see that harm necessarily follows.
Plenty of projects that started on time have finished late, and plenty of
projects that started "late" have finished on time.

The equivocation (neutral sense!) on the word "now" makes me think that we
have a coordination issue here, more than anything else.

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.