[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (15) [value] vs [resource] property on occurrence

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:50:01 +0200

Lars, Graham--

Section 3.7 defines the [value] property on occurrence items to
be

"A string, or null. The string, if present, is the information
 resource the occurrence connects with the subject."

and the [resource] property to be

"A locator item, or null. The locator, if set, is a reference to
 the information resource the occurrence connects with the subject."

The value/resource exclusion constraint says that exactly one of the
properties must contain null.

At least in XTM, the information resource that is the content of
a <resourceData> element is addressable and so it would make
sense to me, if N0396 would allow me to have a value on the [value]
property and the [resource] property at the same time. This would
enable me to record the address that addresses the value if I need to
do so (I propably address the <resourceData> in some other context
such a from within <subjectIdentity> and would like to keep track of
the fact that the value of the occurrence is the same information
resource)

Why should an application/user be prohibited from doing so?

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen                           http://www.topicmapping.com
Consultant & Programmer	                  http://www.gooseworks.org