[sc34wg3] SIDP vs Assertion types

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:56:34 +0100

Hi,

I've been thinking about TMM applications in general and not just the SAM.
The TMM allows for any arbitrary complex data structure to be either an SIDP
or and OP.

It also requires that any Application of TMM states all association types.

The SAM has, for example, BaseNames. These could be mapped as SIDP
properties (as they are just complex data structures) or they could be
modelled as Assertions with the type defined as 'BaseName'.

Is there anything in TMM that standardises when to do which? If not then I
could have multiple SAM ->TMM mappings. The two extremes being one where I
do everything as SIDPs/OPs and the other where I do everything with
assertion types.

I would see that there are two generic connection mechanisms with TMM and
I'm unclear when to use each in a TMA.

What is the thinking on this?

cheers

gra