[sc34wg3] Editorial structure of N0396

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:02:43 -0400 (EDT)

> | Yes, I expect the text of a standard to "unambiguously spell it out."
>
> That's fine, but perhaps you could answer my question about whether
> inserting the word "multi-part" in the place suggested would in your
> view suffice to spell this out or whether further spellings out are
> warranted?

It looks to me like the place for the relationship of this document to
other documents (the other parts) is the foreword, but the foreword,
though required, is missing.

Not sure about the word "part" either. A standard with parts (is that a
multi-part standard?) would have all its parts numbered 0000-1, 0000-2,
but (calling on my "non-Martian" knowledge for a moment) I don't recall
any such numbering scheme being proposed.

So I'm not sure it makes sense to wordsmith on the list. Better to figure
out what a conformant text is, and create one as a basis for consensus.

BTW, if I read N0393 "like a Martian" I'm certain I would find the same
class of problems. These editorial structures and processes are here to
protect and constrain all of us...

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.