[sc34wg3] Editorial structure of N0396

21 Apr 2003 14:07:18 +0200

* Sam Hunting

| "Part of a multi-part standard" does not follow, for me, from the
| text "part of the new ISO 13250 standard," which, as it stands,
| implies a single document, as ISO13250 is a single document.

Well, we can change it to "part of the new *multi-part* ISO 13250
standard", if you prefer. Would that help?

| Perhaps a foreword that gave the parts of 13250 that were to be
| cancelled or replaced would have enabled an unambiguous
| interpretation, but the foreword is one of the required missing
| parts.

It probably would help, but it's a bit premature. We need to get an
official statement from the committee on what the new 13250 will look
like first.

| Re: the "road map", what was agreed to, what that means, and the way
| forward, see Patrick Durusau at:
|
|    http://www.isotopicmaps.org/pipermail/sc34wg3/2003-April/001430.html

Look, N0358, the official New Work Item Proposal has a cross on the
line for multi-part standard. As you'll see from N0388 that propsal
was approved with 8 yes votes and 0 no votes.

So what, exactly, is the problem? Only that the SAM abstract doesn't
unambiguously spell it out, or something more?